The National Economic Security and Recovery Act (NESARA) is a set of proposed economic reforms for the United States suggested during the 1990s by private citizen Harvey Francis Barnard. Barnard claimed that the proposals, which included replacing the income tax with a national sales tax, abolishing compound interest on secured loans, and returning to a bimetallic currency, would result in 0% inflation and a more stable economy. The proposals were never introduced before Congress.
Since the early 2000‘s, NESARA has become better known as the subject of A cult like conspiracy theory whose original promoter was Internet personality Shaini Candace Goodwin, better known as “Dove of Oneness“. Goodwin, who appropriated the NESARA notions without Barnard’s consent, claimed that the act was actually passed with additional provisions as the National Economic Security and Reformation Act, and then suppressed by the George W Bush Administration and the Supreme Court. Goodwin’s conspiracy emails were translated into several languages and had A large following online.  Adherents to the theory have also been using the name GESARA (standing either for Global Economic Security and Recovery Act  or Global Economic Security and Reformation Act ) in order to extend the proposed NESARA reforms outside the US and to the rest of the world.
Monetary Reform Proposal
Harvey Francis Barnard (1941–2005), an engineering consultant and teacher with a PhD in systems theory, created the NESARA proposal during the late 1980’s and early 1990‘s. Barnard printed 1.000 copies of his proposal, titled Draining the Swamp: Monetary and Fiscal Policy Reform (1996), and sent copies to members of Congress, believing it would pass quickly on its merits. Based on A theory that debt is the number one economic factor inhibiting the growth of the economy, and compound interest the number one “Moral Evil” and reason for debt, Barnard made several other attempts during the 1990’s to draw political attention to the problems he saw in the US economy, and his suggested economic recovery proposal based on the root causes he determined. After Barnard’s efforts to gain political support did not succeed, he decided in 2000 to release his proposal to the public domain and publish it on the internet. Barnard established the NESARA Institute in 2001, and published the second edition of his book in 2005, retitling it Draining the Swamp, The NESARA Story, Monetary and Fiscal Policy Reform. 
Dove of Oneness
Soon after Barnard released NESARA on the Internet, a user known as “Dove of Oneness” began posting about it in forums and eventually created A website devoted to it. “Dove of Oneness” was later identified as Shaini Candace Goodwin, A former student of Ramtha’s School of Enlightenment.  Goodwin claimed that the NESARA bill languished in Congress before finally being passed by A secret session in March 2000 and signed by President Bill Clinton. Her theory held that the new law was to be implemented at 10 AM on September 11, 2001, but that the computers, and data (of the beneficiaries of the trillions of dollars of “Prosperity Funds“) were destroyed on the second floor of one of the World Trade Center towers in New York City during the terrorist attacks. Supposedly an earlier Gag Order issued by the Supreme Court had prohibited any official or private source from discussing it, under penalty of death.  Goodwin referred to “White Knights,” most of them high ranking military officials, who have since been struggling to have the law implemented despite opposition by President George W Bush. Goodwin purported that Bush orchestrated the September 11 attacks and the Iraq War as distractions from NESARA.  
Goodwin’s description of NESARA goes far beyond Barnard’s proposal by cancelling all personal debts, abolishing the Internal Revenue Service, declaring world peace, and requiring new presidential and congressional elections. Goodwin often claimed that Bush officials were attempting to hack into and bring down her web site to prevent her from publicizing the law . She would purport to be connected with powerful authorities and used authoritative language, publishing messages in which she “ordered” the “White Knights” to enforce NESARA .
Goodwin began commenting on NESARA in connection with Omega Trust, A fraudulent investment scheme whose creator, Clyde Hood, was on trial at the time. According to Goodwin, Omega Trust investors would receive their returns after NESARA was announced.  Goodwin repeatedly predicted that the NESARA announcement would occur in the very near future,   although in later years she became more reserved in these predictions. 
Barnard became aware of Goodwin’s description of NESARA before his death in 2005. He denied that NESARA had been enacted into law or even assigned A tracking number, and condemned Goodwin’s allegations as A disinformation campaign. 
Goodwin promoted the NESARA theory until her death in 2010. 
After Goodwin began commenting on NESARA, other Internet based conspiracy theorists latched onto it. One supporter, Sheldan Nidle, ties the imminent NESARA announcement into his years old prophecy of an imminent large scale UFO visitation by benevolent aliens (occasionally on his website reports, but more prominently in his videos, seminars and public appearances). Jennifer Lee, who used to publish internet NESARA status reports almost daily  on her now defunct site, discussed a host of other-worldly and “Inter Dimensional” Beings who are helping behind the scenes to get NESARA announced. Late Internet conspiracy theorist Sherry Shriner, who operated multiple websites, saw NESARA as linked to malevolent reptiloid aliens she asserted long controlled the US government.
Some NESARA supporters also make the claim that otherworldly beings are working to get NESARA announced. These include a “Channeled” cosmic being called “Hatonn“ (an android Pleiadean), and another named “Sananda“. According to some proponents of Ascended Master Teachings, such as Joshua David Stone, Sheldan Nidle, and Luis Prada, “Sananda” is the “Galactic Name” of Ascended Master Jesus, which he uses in his role as Commander in Chief of the Ashtar Command flying saucer fleet. “Pallas Athena” is regarded as being the Vice Commander of the saucer fleet. Ashtar (Ashtar Sheran) is regarded in these teachings as being third in command. The designation of George W Bush as A disguised reptilian often co occurred with this claim.  Goodwin has claimed that Ascended Master Saint Germain came down from the etheric plane to physically meet with heads of banks and world leaders regarding the NESARA announcement.  
Followers of the NESARA conspiracy theory began using the name “GESARA” in the mid 2010‘s, by referencing the set of reforms as A “Global“, and not “National“, Economic Security and Reformation Act. They notably claimed that several East Asian groups were involved in enforcing the reforms wordlwide, including the purported “White Dragon Society” which would benefit from fundings by “Ehe Successors of the Last Chinese Emperor, Pu Yi“. One prominent advocate of “GESARA” has been A blogger based in the UK and going by the name “Alcuin Bramerton“. In 2020, “Bramerton” asserted that the “NESARA Global Prosperity Programmes” were about to be announced and activated through an entity called the “Saint Germain World Trust” which would provide “One Quattuordecillion US dollars” to “Zero Out (Permanently Cancel) All Personal, Corporate and National Debts Worldwide” and that further money would be provided to the “White Dragon Society” by the “Manchu Family Syndicate“.
NESARA groups are known for certain to exist and to have attracted press attention in Utah,   and The Netherlands . Members of these groups get together to discuss the status of NESARA, read the various reports, hold protests, and pass out fliers about NESARA to the public. Goodwin claimed that NESARA groups exist throughout several nations and US states including California, Washington, Arizona, and Texas, and provides hundreds of pieces of photographic evidence of people in public protests holding NESARA banners,  but it is not clear to what degree the people holding the banners are aware of what NESARA is, or for how long these groups were active. The News Tribune has traced the story behind at least some of these photos (photos of trucks driving around Washington, DC bearing the words “NESARA Announcement Now!“), and found that they were part of A $ 40,000 advertising campaign allegedly paid for by an elderly San Francisco resident who had made donations to Goodwin. 
NESARA’s concepts have also been incorporated by other conspiracy theories. In 2022, Bellingcat compared NESARA | GESARA to A “Grandfather” of QAnon and reported that as QAnon’s iconography and concepts were declining in popularity, its adherents were becoming more and more invested in NESARA concepts and reviving that older movement. People involved with the sovereign citizen movement have also subscribed to NESARA related theories. 
Comparison to A Cult and Scam Accusations
Critics consider NESARA to be A cult. Pointing to the fact that Goodwin, Lee, and Nidle frequently solicited donations from their readers, they accuse these leaders of being primarily interested in securing A steady stream of income for themselves.    Goodwin, who also asked readers to donate their frequent flyer miles,  claimed that she needed and had used the funds to travel to various locations around the world to secretly meet with high level government officials about getting NESARA announced.   In 2004, The News Tribune published an article which called Goodwin A “Cyber Cult Queen” and described the NESARA phenomenon as A scam.
A June 2006 complaint to the Washington consumer protection division accused Goodwin of using the NESARA story to defraud A 64 year old San Francisco woman of at least $ 10,000. The woman’s daughter said the actual amount is much larger, in the hundreds of thousands. 
The prominence of failed prophecy also lends support to the cult theory. NESARA supporters often tell their readers that the NESARA announcement is going to happen in A matter of days. According to the documentary Waiting For NESARA, the claim was also made prior to March 2003 that George Bush was planning the war with Iraq only to further delay the NESARA announcement. It was prophesied that spiritual beings and UFO’s would intervene with Bush’s plans and prevent the war .
- Gulyas, Aaron John, 2021. Conspiracy and Triumph: Theories of a Victorious Future for the Faithful. McFarland. ISBN 978 1476680767.
Notes and References
- Robinson, Sean, 18 July 2004. “Snared by a Cybercult Queen, Dove of Oneness”. The News Tribune. Retrieved 12 February 2021. Article updated 17 July 2013
- Also reproduced here by the Cult Education Institute. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- “As QAnon Falters, European Followers Flock to A Financial Conspiracy”. Bellingcat. 21 December 2022. Retrieved 26 December 2022.
- Gulyas 2021, Page 161 – 162.
- “Harvey Francis Barnard Obituary”. The Advocate. Legacy.com. 24 – 26 May 2005. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- “A Legislative Proposal for Monetary and Fiscal Policy Reform (was “The National Economic Stabilization and Recovery Act)”. Archived from the original on 1 December 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2021
- Goodwin, Shaini, 11 September 2006.“NESARA’s Announcement Brings Truth about 9/11 Attacks”. Archived from the original on 3 July 2009. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Goodwin, Shaini.“Announcement this Week? NESARA Update N° 21“. Archived from the original on 16 April 2003. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Robinson, Sean, 19 July 2004)“Up against ’the Dark Agenda'”. Retrieved 21 April 2020
- Gulyas 2021, Page 58.
- “NESARA Scam”. Quatloos!. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Goodwin, Shaini, 4 May 2002. “NESARA Government and US Treasury Currency Info, Pro. Prg Deliveries”. Archived from the original on 18 June 2004. Retrieved 21 April 2020
- Goodwin, Shaini, 8 March 2004. “NESARA, Debt Relief in US, Income Taxes End. NESARA Editorial & Confirmations”. Archived from the original on 11 April 2004. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Goodwin, Shaini (13 October 2003). “NESARA; Dove Reports Email Improvements; Wild-eyed Currency Stories”. Archived from the original on 27 August 2004. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Goodwin, Shaini (23 June 2006). “NESARA Chronicles Parts 4 and 5”. Archived from the original on 25 September 2006. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- “Rabbits: Rumors – The “Real” NESARA”. The NESARA Institute. Archived from the original on 3 February 2009. Retrieved 21 April 2020
- Gulyas 2021, p. 46.
- “PAO Products”. Planetary Activation Organization. Retrieved 21 April 2020
- “Jennifer Lee NESARA Reports”. Quatloos!. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Shriner, Sherry. “NESARA Sucks: The Beast Economic Program”. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Ward, Suzy (July 18, 2005). “Special NESARA Edition”. The Matthew Books. Retrieved 2007-09-25. Ward claims to write books that are “channeled” from her son, Matthew, who died in April, 1980 at the age of 17. The message cited is claimed to be channeled through a higher level “cosmic being” named “Hatonn”
- Peterson, Ken. “Sananda on NESARA and Compassion”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Icke, David. “The Windsor-Bush Bloodline”. Archived from the original on 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Goodwin, Shaini (April 28, 2007). “Peace Ordered; Corp. Eviction; Ascended Masters Working On Our Behalf”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Goodwin, Shaini (July 28, 2002). “Support NESARA Fully to Receive Full Prosperity”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Haradon, Zeb and Elisa. “Waiting for NESARA”. Archived from the original on 2 January 2006. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Robinson, Sean (6 August 2004). “Documentary spotlights NESARA cult; Dove’s followers”. The News Tribune. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Sean, Robinson (18 June 2006). “Some lucrative ‘New Age hooey'”. The News Tribune. Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- “NESARA— Also called the Reformation Act”. Archived from the original on 10 February 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2020. includes several photo galleries: NTAT in action – July 4th 2005; 
- Goodwin, Shaini (2 October 2005). “NESARA Finishes Farm Claims Actions; NTAT Report; Canadians Sue Banks”. Archived from the original on 3 July 2009. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Sovereign Citizens Movement, Southern Poverty Law Center, retrieved January 6, 2022
- Goodwin, Shaini (February 6, 2007). “NESARA Lights Carry NESARA Forward”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Nidle, Sheldan. “Sheldan Nidle Updates”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Lee, Jennifer (October 7, 2003). “Jennifer Lee NESARA Reports”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Goodwin, Shaini (October 24, 2004). “NESARA; Bush Regime Stalls 9-11 Report by CIA Group; NTAT Reports”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- Goodwin, Shaini (July 18, 2004). “The Truth About Dove of Oneness: Her Life & Activities”. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
This page was last edited on 23 February 2023, at 17:17 UTC