The Book of Enoch (foto Ancientalienpedia)
Uit de as van engelen (2): het Boek van Henoch
De geschiedenis van de gevallen engelen uit het Boek Henoch
De vereniging van engelen met de mensendochters
1. And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters.
2. And the angels, the children of the Heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another ‘Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children.’
3. And Semjâzâ, who was their leader, said unto them ‘I fear ye will not indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of A great sin.’
4. And they all answered him and said ‘Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.’
5. Then sware they all together and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it.
6. And they were in all two hundred; who descended ⌈in the days⌉ of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it.
7. And these are the names of their leaders Sêmîazâz, their leader, Arâkîba, Râmêêl, Kôkabîêl, Tâmîêl, Râmîêl, Dânêl, Êzêqêêl, Barâqîjâl, Asâêl, Armârôs, Batârêl, Anânêl, Zaqîêl, Samsâpêêl, Satarêl, Tûrêl, Jômjâêl, Sariêl.
8. These are their chiefs of tens. [Martin, p. 12f, Semyaza, Arakib, Aramiel, Kôkabiel, Tamiel, Ramiel, Daniel, Ezéqiel, Baraqiel, Asaël, Armaros, Batariel, Ananiel, Zaqilê, Samsapeel, Satariel, Touriel, Yomeyal, Arazeyal].
Geboorte en misdaden van de reuzen
1. And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them, and they taught them charms and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants.
2. And they became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three thousand ells,
3. Who consumed all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them,
4. the giants turned against them and devoured mankind.
5. And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish, and to devour one another S flesh, and drink the blood.
6. Then the Earth laid accusation against the lawless ones.
Wat de slechte engelen hebben geleerd aan de mensen
1. And Azâzêl taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals (of the Earth) and the Art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures.
2. And there arose much Godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways.
3. Semjâzâ taught enchantments, and root cuttings, Armârôs the resolving of enchantments, Barâqîjâl, (taught) astrology, Kôkabêl the constellations, Ezêqêêl the knowledge of the clouds, (Araqiêl the signs of the Earth, Shamsiêl the signs of the Sun), and Sariêl the course of the Moon.
4. And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to Heaven (…) [Martin, p. 16f, 3. Amiziras instrueerde de tovenaars en de wortelsnijders; Armaros (leerde) het verbreken van betoveringen, Baraqiel (instrueerde) de astrologen, Kôkabiel (leerde) de tekens, Tamiel (de betekenis) van het aspect van de sterren, en Asdariel leerde de loop van de Maan. 4. En in (hun) verslagenheid riepen de mensen en hun geroep klom op ten Hemel].
Interventie van de goede engelen
1. And then Michael, Uriel, Raphael, and Gabriel looked down from Heaven and saw much blood being shed upon the Earth, and all lawlessness being wrought upon the Earth.
2. And they said one to another ‘The Earth made [without inhabitant cries the voice of their crying] up to the gates of Heaven.
3 . ⌈⌈And now to you, the holy ones of Heaven⌉⌉, the souls of men make their suit, saying, “Bring our cause before the Most High.”’
4. And they said to the Lord of the ages ‘Lord of lords, God of gods, King of kings, (and God of the ages), the Throne of Thy glory (standeth) unto all the generations of the ages, and Thy name holy and glorious and blessed unto all the ages!
5. Thou hast made all things, and power over all things hast Thou and all things are naked and open in Thy sight, and Thou seest all things, and nothing can hide itself from Thee.
6. Thou seest what Azâzêl hath done, who hath taught all unrighteousness on Earth and revealed the eternal secrets which were (preserved) in Heaven, which men were striving to learn.
7. And Semjâzâ, to whom Thou hast given authority to bear rule over his associates.
8. And they have gone to the daughters of men upon the Earth, and have slept with the women, and have defiled themselves, and revealed to them all kinds of sins.
9. And the women have borne giants, and the whole Earth has thereby been filled with blood and unrighteousness.
10. And now, behold, the souls of those who have died are crying and making their suit to the gates of Heaven, and their lamentations have ascended: and can not cease because of the lawless deeds which are wrought on the Earth.
11. And Thou knowest all things before they come to pass, and Thou seest these things and Thou dost suffer them, and Thou dost not say to us what we are to do to them in regard to these.’
God beveelt de zondvloed en de bestraffing van de slechte engelen door het eeuwige vuur; hij voorzegt het geluk van de rechtvaardigen
1. Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel [M: Asaryalyor] to the son of Lamech, and said to him.
2. ‘(Go to Noah) and tell him in my name “Hide thyself!” and reveal to him the end that is approaching: that the whole Earth will be destroyed, and A deluge is about to come upon the whole Earth, and will destroy all that is on it.
3. And now instruct him that he may escape and his seed may be preserved for all the generations of the World.’
4. And again the Lord said to Raphael: ‘Bind Azâzêl hand and foot, and cast him into the darkness: and make an opening in the desert, which is in Dûdâêl, and cast him therein.
5. And place upon him rough and jagged rocks, and cover him with darkness, and let him abide there for ever, and cover his face that he may not see light.
6. And on the day of the great judgement he shall be cast into the fire.
7. And heal the Earth which the angels have corrupted, and proclaim the healing of the Earth, that they may heal the plague, and that all the children of men may not perish through all the secret things that the Watchers have disclosed and have taught their sons.
8. And the whole Earth has been corrupted through the works that were taught by Azâzêl: to him ascribe all sin.’
9. And to Gabriel said the Lord: ‘Proceed against the bastards and the reprobates, and against the children of fornication: and destroy [the children of fornication and] the children of the Watchers from amongst men [and cause them to go forth]: send them one against the other that they may destroy each other in battle: for length of days shall they not have.
10. And no request that they (this is their fathers) make of thee shall be granted unto their fathers on their behalf; for they hope to live an eternal life, and that each one of them will live five hundred years.’
11. And the Lord said unto Michael ‘Go, bind Semjâzâ and his associates who have united themselves with women so as to have defiled themselves with them in all their uncleanness.
12. And when their sons have slain one another, and they have seen the destruction of their beloved ones, bind them fast for seventy generations in the valleys of the Earth, till the day of their judgement and of their consummation, till the judgement that is for ever and ever is consummated.
13. In those days they shall be led off to the abyss of fire: (and) to the torment and the prison in which they shall be confined for ever.
14. And whosoever shall be condemned and destroyed will from thenceforth be bound together with them to the end of all generations.
15. And destroy all the spirits of the reprobate and the children of the Watchers, because they have wronged mankind.
16. Destroy all wrong from the face of the Earth and let every evil work come to an end, and let the plant of righteousness and truth appear, ⌈and it shall prove A blessing; the works of righteousness and truth⌉ shall be planted in truth and joy for evermore.
17. And then shall all the righteous escape,
And shall live till they beget thousands of children,
And all the days of their youth and their old age
Shall they complete in peace.
18. And then shall the whole Earth be tilled in righteousness, and shall all be planted with trees and be full of blessing.
19. And all desirable trees shall be planted on it, and they shall plant vines on it: and the vine which they plant thereon shall yield wine in abundance, and as for all the seed which is sown thereon each measure (of it) shall bear A thousand, and each measure of olives shall yield ten presses of oil.
20. And cleanse thou the earth from all oppression, and from all unrighteousness, and from all sin, and from all Godlessness: and all the uncleanness that is wrought upon the earth destroy from off the Earth.
21. ⌈And all the children of men shall become righteous⌉, and all nations shall offer adoration and shall praise Me, and all shall worship Me.
22. And the Earth shall be cleansed from all defilement, and from all sin, and from all punishment, and from all torment, and I will never again send (them) upon it from generation to generation and for ever.
1. And in those days I will open the store chambers of blessing which are in the heaven, so as to send them down ⌈upon the Earth⌉ over the work and labour of the children of men.
2. And truth and peace shall be associated together throughout all the days of the World and throughout all the generations of men.’
XII – XVI. Dream Vision of Enoch: his intercession for Azâzêl and the fallen Angels: and his announcement to them of their first and final doom.
Assumptie en missie van Henoch naar de slechte engelen
1. Before these things Enoch was hidden, and no one of the children of men knew where he was hidden, and where he abode, and what had become of him.
2. And his activities had to do with the Watchers, and his days were with the holy ones.
3. And I, Enoch was blessing the Lord of majesty and the King of the ages, and lo! the Watchers called me – Enoch the scribe – and said to me.
4. ‘Enoch, thou scribe of righteousness, go, [declare] to the Watchers of the Heaven who have left the high Heaven, the holy eternal place, and have defiled themselves with women, and have done as the children of Earth do, and have taken unto themselves wives “Ye have wrought great destruction on the Earth.
5. And ye shall have no peace nor forgiveness of sin: and inasmuch as [they] delight themselves in [their] children.
6. The murder of [their] beloved ones shall [they] see, and over the destruction of [their] children shall [they] lament, and shall make supplication unto eternity, but mercy and peace shall ye not attain.”‘
Enoch, Jubilees, Jasher banned from the Bible (foto audiobooksunleashed)
De gevallen engelen vroegen aan Henoch om voor hen te bemiddelen
1. And Enoch went and said: ‘Azâzêl, thou shalt have no peace: A severe sentence has gone forth against thee to put thee in bonds.
2. And thou shalt not have toleration nor [request] granted to thee, because of the unrighteousness which thou hast taught, and because of all the works of Godlessness and unrighteousness and sin which thou hast shown to men.’
3. Then I went and spoke to them all together, and they were all afraid, and fear and trembling seized them.
4. And they besought me to draw up A petition for them that they might find forgiveness, and to read their petition in the presence of the Lord of Heaven.
5. For from thenceforward they could not speak (with Him) nor lift up their eyes to Heaven for shame of their sins for which they had been condemned.
6. Then I wrote out their petition, and the prayer in regard to their spirits and their deeds individually and in regard to their requests that they should have forgiveness and length (of days).
7. And I went off and sat down at the waters of Dan, in the land of Dan, to the South of the West of Hermon: I read their petition till I fell asleep.
8. And behold A dream came to me, and visions fell down upon me, and I saw visions of chastisement, ⌈and A voice came bidding (me)⌉ I to tell it to the Sons of Heaven, and reprimand them.
9. And when I awaked, I came unto them, and they were all sitting gathered together, weeping in ’Abelsjâîl, which is between Lebanon and Sênêsêr, with their faces covered.
10. And I recounted before them all the visions which I had seen in sleep, and I began to speak the words of righteousness, and to reprimand the Heavenly Watchers.
Visioen van Henoch: de bestraffing van slechte engelen; het verblijf en de Troon van God
1. The book of the words of righteousness, and of the reprimand of the eternal Watchers in accordance with the command of the Holy Great One in that vision.
2. I saw in my sleep what I will now say with A tongue of flesh and with the breath of my mouth: which the Great One has given to men to converse therewith and understand with the heart.
3. As He has created and given ⌈⌈to man the power of understanding the word of wisdom, so hath He created me also and given⌉⌉ me the power of reprimanding the Watchers, the children of heaven.
4. I wrote out your petition, and in my vision it appeared thus, that your petition will not be granted unto you ⌈⌈throughout all the days of eternity, and that judgement has been finally passed upon you: yea (your petition) will not be granted unto you⌉⌉.
5. And from henceforth you shall not ascend into heaven unto all eternity, and ⌈in bonds⌉ of the Earth the decree has gone forth to bind you for all the days of the World.
6. And (that) previously you shall have seen the destruction of your beloved sons and ye shall have no pleasure in them, but they shall fall before you by the sword.
7. And your petition on their behalf shall not be granted, nor yet on your own: even though you weep and pray and speak all the words contained in the writing which I have written.
8. And the vision was shown to me thus. Behold, in the vision clouds invited me and A mist summoned me, and the course of the stars and the lightnings sped and hastened me, and the winds in the vision caused me to fly and lifted me upward, and bore me into Heaven.
9. And I went in till I drew nigh to A wall which is built of crystals and surrounded by tongues of fire: and it began to affright me.
10. And I went into the tongues of fire and drew nigh to A large house which was built of crystals and the walls of the house were like A tesselated floor (made) of crystals, and its groundwork was of crystal.
11. Its ceiling was like the path of the stars and the lightnings, and between them were fiery cherubim, and their Heaven was (clear as) water.
12. A flaming fire surrounded the walls, and its portals blazed with fire.
13. And I entered into that house, and it was hot as fire and cold as ice, there were no delights of life therein: fear covered me, and trembling got hold upon me.
14. And as I quaked and trembled, I fell upon my face.
15. And I beheld A vision, And lo! there was A second house, greater than the former, and the entire portal stood open before me, and it was built of flames of fire.
16. And in every respect it so excelled in splendour and magnificence and extent that I cannot describe to you its splendour and its extent.
17. And its floor was of fire, and above it were lightnings and the path of the stars, and its ceiling also was flaming fire.
18. And I looked and saw ⌈⌈therein⌉⌉ A lofty Throne, its appearance was as crystal, and the wheels thereof as the shining Sun, and there was the vision of cherubim.
19. And from underneath the Throne came streams of flaming fire so that I could not look thereon.
20. And the Great Glory sat thereon, and His raiment shone more brightly than the Sun and was whiter than any snow.
21. None of the angels could enter and could behold His face by reason of the magnificence and glory and no flesh could behold Him.
22. The flaming fire was round about Him, and A great fire stood before Him, and none around could draw nigh Him ten thousand times ten thousand (stood) before Him, yet He needed no counselor.
23. And the most holy ones who were nigh to Him did not leave by night nor depart from Him.
24. And until then I had been prostrate on my face, trembling and the Lord called me with His own mouth, and said to me ‘Come hither, Enoch, and hear my word.’
25. ⌈And one of the holy ones came to me and waked me⌉, and He made me rise up and approach the door and I bowed my face downwards.
God draagt Henoch op aan de slechte engelen de enormiteit van hun fout voor te stellen
1. And He answered and said to me, and I heard His voice ‘Fear not, Enoch, thou righteous man and scribe of righteousness, approach hither and hear my voice.
2. And go, say to ⌈⌈the Watchers of Heaven⌉⌉, who have sent thee to intercede ⌈⌈for them “You should intercede”⌉⌉ for men, and not men for you.
3. Wherefore have ye left the high, holy, and eternal Heaven, and lain with women, and defiled yourselves with the daughters of men and taken to yourselves wives, and done like the children of Earth, and begotten giants (as your) sons?
4. And though ye were holy, spiritual, living the eternal life, you have defiled yourselves with the blood of women, and have begotten (children) with the blood of flesh, and, as the children of men, have lusted after flesh and blood as those ⌈also⌉ do who die and perish.
5. Therefore have I given them wives also that they might impregnate them, and beget children by them, that thus nothing might be wanting to them on Earth.
6. But you were ⌈formerly⌉ spiritual, living the eternal life, and immortal for all generations of the World.
7. And therefore I have not appointed wives for you; for as for the spiritual ones of the Heaven, in Heaven is their dwelling.
8. And now, the giants, who are produced from the spirits and flesh, shall be called evil spirits upon the Earth, and on the Earth shall be their dwelling.
9. Evil spirits have proceeded from their bodies; because they are born from men, ⌈⌈and⌉⌉ from the holy Watchers is their beginning and primal origin; ⌈they shall be evil spirits on Earth, and⌉ evil spirits shall they be called.
[10. As for the spirits of Heaven, in Heaven shall be their dwelling, but as for the spirits of the Earth which were born upon the Earth, on the Earth shall be their dwelling.]
11. And the spirits of the giants afflict, oppress, destroy, attack, do battle, and work destruction on the Earth, and cause trouble, they take no food, ⌈but nevertheless hunger⌉ and thirst, and cause offences. And these spirits shall rise up against the children of men and against the women, because they have proceeded ⌈from them⌉.
De Wakers zullen worden bestraft voor het hebben meegedeeld aan de mensen een funest geheim
1. From the days of the slaughter and destruction and death ⌈of the giants⌉, from the souls of whose flesh the spirits, having gone forth, shall destroy without incurring judgement – thus shall they destroy until the day of the consummation, the great ⌈judgement⌉ in which the age shall be consummated, over the Watchers and the Godless, yea, shall be wholly consummated.”
2. And now as to the Watchers who have sent Thee to intercede for them, who had been ⌈⌈aforetime⌉⌉ in Heaven, (say to them).
3. “You have been in Heaven, but ⌈all⌉ the mysteries had not yet been revealed to you, and you knew worthless ones, and these in the hardness of your hearts you have made known to the women, and through these mysteries women and men work much evil on Earth.”
4. Say to them therefore “You have no peace.”‘
LXIX. The Names and Functions of the (fallen Angels and) Satans: the secret Oath.
De namen en de rollen van de slechte engelen | De mysterieuze eed, die zij hebben onthuld
1. And after this judgement they shall terrify and make them to tremble because they have shown this to those who dwell on the Earth.
2. And behold the names of those angels [and these are their names: the first of them is Samjâzâ, the second Artâqîfâ, and the third Armên, the fourth Kôkabêl, the fifth [Tûrâêl], the sixth Rûmjâl, the seventh Dânjâl, the eighth [Nêqâêl], the ninth Barâqêl, the tenth Azâzêl, the eleventh Armârôs, the twelfth Batarjâl, the thirteenth [Busasêjal], the fourteenth Hanânêl, the fifteenth [Tûrêl], and the sixteenth Sîmâpêsîêl, the seventeenth Jetrêl, the eighteenth Tûmâêl, the nineteenth Tûrêl, the twentieth [Rumâêl], the twenty first [Azâzêl].
3. And these are the chiefs of their angels and their names, and their chief ones over hundreds and over fifties and over tens].
4. The name of the first Jeqôn: that is, the one who led astray ⌈all⌉ the sons of God, and brought them down to the Earth, and led them astray through the daughters of men.
5. And the second was named Asbeêl: he imparted to the holy Sons of God evil counsel, and led them astray so that they defiled their bodies with the daughters of men.
6. And the third was named Gâdreêl: he it is who showed the children of men all the blows of death, and he led astray Eve, and showed ⌈the weapons of death to the sons of men⌉ the shield and the coat of mail, and the sword for battle, and all the weapons of death to the children of men.
7. And from his hand they have proceeded against those who dwell on the Earth from that day and for evermore.
8. And the fourth was named Pênêmûe: he taught the children of men the bitter and the sweet, and he taught them all the secrets of their wisdom.
9. And he instructed mankind in writing with ink and paper, and thereby many sinned from eternity to eternity and until this day.
10. For men were not created for such A purpose, to give confirmation to their good faith with pen and ink.
11. For men were created exactly like the angels, to the intent that they should continue pure and righteous, and death, which destroys everything, could not have taken hold of them, but through this their knowledge they are perishing, and through this power it is consuming me.
12. And the fifth was named Kâsdejâ: this is he who showed the children of men all the wicked smitings of spirits and demons, and the smitings of the embryo in the womb, that it may pass away, and [the smitings of the soul] the bites of the serpent, and the smitings which befall through the noontide heat, the son of the serpent named Tabââ‘ĕt.
13. And this is the task of Kâsbeêl, the chief of the oath which he showed to the holy ones when he dwelt high above in glory, and its name is Bîqâ.
14. This (angel) requested Michael to show him the hidden name, that he might enunciate it in the oath, so that those might quake before that name and oath who revealed all that was in secret to the children of men.
15. And this is the power of this oath, for it is powerful and strong, and he placed this oath Akâe in the hand of Michael.
16. And these are the secrets of this oath (…) (https://Ancientalienpedia.com/author/Ancientalienpedia/)
Henoch en de engel voor het Paradijs (foto quora)
Rappaport geeft de volgende samenvatting van de legende. In die dagen gebeurde het, dat de mensenzonen zich hadden vermenigvuldigd en zij verwekten dochters, zowel elegant als prachtig. Het gebeurde, dat de Hemelzonen, dat zijn de gevallen engelen, de mensendochters zagen en verliefd op hen werden. De Hemelzonen zeiden tegen elkaar “Kom, laten we vrouwen voor onszelf uitzoeken uit de mensenkinderen.” Maar hun leider, genaamd Samyaza (of Shemhaza), sprak tot hen en zei “Ik vrees, dat jullie waarschijnlijk niet dapper genoeg zijn om zo N onderneming te verrichten en dat Ik alleen voor zo N ernstige misdaad zal lijden.” Maar al de Hemelzonen, toen ze de woorden van Samyaza hoorden, zworen en bonden zichzelf door wederzijdse vervloekingen om het voorgenomen plan uit te voeren. Hun getal nu was tweehonderd, en ze daalden af op Ardis, wat de top is van de berg Armon [= Hermon, https://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hermon]. De berg noemden ze Armon, omdat ze er op gezworen hadden en zich gebonden hadden door wederzijdse vervloekingen. De namen van de leiders van de Hemelzonen, die aldus gezworen hadden vrouwen te nemen van onder de mensendochters, waren: Samyaza, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiël, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeël, Sarakuyal, Asael, Armers, Batraäl, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveël, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Azazyal, achttien in totaal die de prefecten waren van de tweehonderd met Samyaza als hun leider. En al deze Hemelzonen namen vrouwen van onder de mensendochters en ze leerden hun vrouwen toverij, toverspreuken en waarzeggen met wortels. Ze kregen kinderen en de vrouwen baarden reuzen, van wie de grootte ieder driehonderd el was. Deze reuzen waren een vloek voor de mensheid, want zij verslonden alles wat de arbeid van de mensen had geproduceerd, totdat het onmogelijk werd hen te voeden. De reuzen verwondden beesten en vogels, vissen en reptielen, aten hun vlees en dronken hun bloed.
Azazyal leerde mensen hoe zwaarden, messen, schilden, borstplaten te maken en de fabricage van spiegels, die hen deden zien wat achter hen was. Hij leerde hen ook het fabriceren van armbanden en van ornamenten en ook het gebruik van verf en hoe de wenkbrauwen te verfraaien. Verder leerde hij hen het gebruik van edelstenen van allerlei aard en het gebruik van allerlei soorten textielverven, en de Wereld werd aldus zeer veranderd. Zij werd op velerlei wijze gecorrumpeerd. De andere Hemelzonen en de reuzen keerden zich tegen de mensen en vernietigden hen. En zij riepen uit en hun stem bereikte de Hemel. Toen Michael, Gabriël, Rafael, Suryal, en Uriël neerkeken vanuit hun Hemelse verblijf, zagen ze de hoeveelheid bloed, die werd vergoten op Aarde en al de zonde, die erop werd bedreven en zeiden tegen elkaar “De Aarde beroofd van haar kinderen heeft geroepen naar God en de kreet heeft de Hemelpoort bereikt.” En zij keerden naar God en spraken aldus: “Gij bent de Heer en Koning van alles. Gij bent de Heer der heren, Koning der koningen en God der goden. De Troon van Uw glorie is voor altijd en eeuwig en voor eeuwig is Uw naam geheiligd en vereerd. Gij bezit macht over alle dingen en Samyaza heeft toverij geleerd en de hele Aarde is gevuld met zonde. Nu is het gekreun van hen, die dood zijn, opgestegen naar de Hemelpoorten.”
Daarop zond de Schepper van alles een bode uit naar de zoon van Lamech, hem bevelend zich te verbergen, want de Aarde zou spoedig ten onder gaan (Rappaport, I, 62 – 64).
Uit de Slavische versie van het Boek Henoch
(The Lost Books, II, 87)
Of the taking of Enoch on to the fifth Heaven. CHAPTER 18
1. The men took me on to the fifth Heaven and placed me, and there I saw many and countless soldiers, called Grigori [this is Watchers], of human appearance, and their size was greater than that of great giants and their faces withered, and the silence of their mouths perpetual, and there was no service on the fifth Heaven, and I said to the men who were with me.
2. ‘Wherefore are these very withered and their faces melancholy, and their mouths silent, and wherefore is there no service on this heaven?’
3. And they said to me These are the Grigori, who with their Prince Satanail rejected the Lord of light, and after them are those who are held in great darkness on the second Heaven, and three of them went down on to Earth from the Lord S Throne, to the place Ermon, and broke through their vows on the shoulder of the hill Ermon and saw the daughters of men how good they are, and took to themselves wives, and befouled the Earth with their deeds, who in all times of their age made lawlessness and mixing, and giants are born and marvellous big men and great enmity.
4. And therefore God judged them with great judgement, and they weep for their brethren and they will be punished on the Lord S great day.
5. And I said to the Grigori ‘I saw your brethren and their works, and their great torments, and I prayed for them, but the Lord has condemned them to be under Earth till Heaven and Earth shall end for ever.’
6. And I said: ‘Wherefore do you wait, brethren, and do not serve before the Lord S face, and have not put your services before the Lord S face, lest you anger your Lord utterly?’
7. And they listened to my admonition, and spoke to the four ranks in Heaven, and lo! as I stood with those two men four trumpets trumpeted together with great voice, and the Grigori broke into song with one voice, and their voice went up before the Lord pitifully and affectingly.
(Prophet, p. 342)
Het Testament van Reuben, hoofdstuk 2 (The Lost Books, II, 223)
Reuben continues with his experiences and his good advice.
17. Flee, therefore, fornication, my children, and command your wives and your daughters, that they adorn not their heads and faces to deceive the Mind, because every woman who useth these wiles hath been reserved for eternal punishment.
18. For thus they allured the Watchers who were before the flood; for as these continually beheld them, they lusted after them, and they conceived the act in their Mind; for they changed themselves into the shape of men, and appeared to them when they were with their husbands.
19. And the women lusting in their Minds after their forms, gave birth to giants, for the Watchers appeared to them as reaching even unto Heaven.
Het Testament van Naphtali (The Lost Books, II, 251)
25. The Gentiles went astray, and forsook the Lord, and changed their Order, and obeyed stocks and stones, spirits of deceit.
26 But ye shall not be so, my children, recognizing in the firmament, in the Earth, and in the sea, and in all created things, the Lord who made all things, that ye become not as Sodom, which changed the Order of nature.
27 In like manner the Watchers also changed the Order of their nature, whom the Lord cursed at the flood, on whose account He made the Earth without inhabitants and fruitless.
28 These things I say unto you, my children, for I have read in the writing of Enoch that ye yourselves also shall depart from the Lord, walking according to all the lawlessness of the Gentiles, and ye shall do according to all the wickedness of Sodom.
In de Bijbel komen we de Wachters alleen tegen in het Boek Daniël. Het betreft de droom van Koning Nebukadnessar, waarin deze een boom zag midden op de Aarde, “van grote hoogte (…) hij reikte tot aan de Hemel en was te zien tot aan het einde van de hele aarde (…) En zie, een WACHTER, een heilige, daalde uit de Hemel neer; en hij riep met luide stem ‘Houwt de boom om (…) Dit bevel berust op het besluit van de WACHTERS en deze zaak op het woord van de heiligen, opdat de levenden mogen weten, dat de Allerhoogste macht heeft over het Koningschap van de mensen en dat geeft aan wie Hij wil, ja, zelfs de nederigste onder de mensen daarin aanstelt.’” Daniël geeft uitleg: “Dat nu de Koning een WACHTER, een heilige, heeft zien neerdalen uit de Hemel, die zei: ‘Houwt de boom om (…)’” (zie https://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcher_(angel)#Daniel).
Uit het bovenstaande is op te maken dat de WACHTERS dezelfde zijn als de heiligen, die zich in de onmiddellijke nabijheid van de Allerhoogste bevinden. Ik heb over hen gesproken in de vierde aflevering van de serie “Inleiding in de mythologie”, gewijd aan de zeven planeetGoden (zie http://robscholtemuseum.nl/cor-hendriks-inleiding-in-de-mythologie-4-de-zeven-planeetgoden/).
The Angelic Council, Eastern Orthodox Church icon of the Seven Archangels, from left to right St Jehudiel, St Gabriel, St Selatiel, St Michael, St Uriel, St Raphael, St Barachiel (foto Wikipedia)
Voor een overzicht van de ontwikkeling van de namen van aartsengelen, zie https://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriel.
Martin, François, Le Livre D Hénoch (traduit sur le texte Éthiopien), Paris, 1906.
Prophet, Elizabeth Clare, Fallen Angels and the Origins of Evil, 2000 (PDF).
Rappoport, Angelo S, Ancient Israel. Myths & Legends, London, 1995 (3 Volumes).
The Lost Books of the Bible & The Forgotten Books of Eden, New York, 1971 (= 1963).